Saturday, April 7, 2012

Our Unconventional Dream Vacation

Three months ago, D and I celebrated our two year wedding anniversary. We originally had grand plans to go somewhere warm, as a belated honeymoon, but with D's impending surgery and the discovery of the pregnancy, we decided to do something low-key and low cost.  We only live an hour and a half from Gettysburg, which is a really interesting place to go if you have any interest at all in history (or shopping, since there are outlets there - or at least this is what I've been told). We've both done the battlefield tours before, so we decided to try something different: we went geocaching! Most of the caches there are virtual and around the monuments, but it was still a lot of fun and a good way to get outside, see historic sites, but not be bogged down by a schedule or a list of "must sees." We learned a lot of interesting information about the monuments, battle, and town that isn't in the tours. We also went on a ghost tour one night, which was my Christmas gift to D as I really don't enjoy things like that (although this one wasn't bad; I am just a skeptic in general). Anyway, I do have the say the highlight of the trip - at least to me - was where we stayed. We "splurged" on a cabin at the Lodges at Gettysburg. The good news is: this awesome cabin cost no more than your typical decent hotel room! It may have helped that we were there in January, and the rest of the place was practically deserted, but it was cozy and romantic and secluded and didn't make my wallet scream. I fell in love with the place and took pictures to share:


The outside of our cabin: "Michigan." (They are all named after states that fought in the Civil War.)



The view from the front door. To the right is an electric fireplace and flat screen tv, to the left is a comfy chair. Straight back to the right is the door to the side porch and the kitchenette, and the door behind the bed is to the bathroom.


The view from the bathroom door.
The most comfortable bed I've ever slept in.

The surprisingly well-stocked kitchenette.

This may be silly, but I fell in love with this bathroom. The tile shower was HUGE and stocked with all sorts of earth-friendly shampoos, lotions, etc.

The shower head was heavenly. I spent a lot of time in the shower just enjoying the pampering!

The Lodges also included continental breakfast, which was really nice. They have a large lodge area that can host lots of people, as well as a beautiful banquet area. I wish I had known about this place when planning our wedding! There is also a gazebo down by the lake... it was all gorgeous, even in January.

I'm not normally one to take up blog space promoting another business, but we both absolutely loved our accommodations and will probably spend future anniversaries or special occasions back here again! I wanted to share in case anyone was looking for a relatively inexpensive getaway with a rustic feel:-)

So even though our vacation wasn't as grand, warm, or exotic as we had originally hoped, it ended up being the perfect get-away! We had adventures, learned cool things, ate good food (although at that phase in the pregnancy I was into my Cheetos craving, so I think D enjoyed the other food more than I did... if it wasn't fake and orange, I wasn't that interested), and then had a beautiful, restful setting in which to relax at the end of the day! Oh, and of course, we spent it with each other - which is what makes any trip fun. :-)

Here are some pictures of us that weekend, just for fun:


No comments:

Post a Comment