Wednesday, March 28, 2012

CupCake Bites

I have recently started to enjoy making cake balls as a good way to use the remaining batter from cupcake orders... but I really suck at dipping them in chocolate and not making a huge mess. Then, my sister sent me a link to a blog that had a great idea: make the cake balls look like mini cupcakes! (Isn't is great what we find amusing?) Using candy molds that look like the outline of a peanut butter cup, this process is actually pretty simple and not nearly as messy as regular chocolate dipping (at least not in my house!)

For those who may be unaware, here's the cheater's way to make cake balls: using one box of cake mix, bake a cake following the directions. Crumble it into little pieces, then mix in one can of your favorite frosting. Form into little balls, chill for about two hours, then dip into chocolate coating. And yes, I call this the "cheater's way" because it involves using boxed mixes and fake frosting, both of which I try to avoid like the plague and the other artificial ingredients contained therein. (Yes, I am a bit snobby about that). To make homemade cake balls, it's the same concept but a little different because of the variety of cake and frosting textures (some cakes require more frosting, others less).

Now, for the cupcake bites, you fill the candy mold about 1/3 of the way with chocolate and pop the cake ball on top. Push it down enough so that the chocolate comes up to the sides/top of the mold. Let harden. Then, pop them out, turn them over, and dip them upside down into another type/color of chocolate, so the two chocolate colors meet. Hold upside down to let the excess drip off, and then flip back over and place on waxed paper to harden. You can also top it with sprinkles, chocolate drizzles, etc. for a little extra flair. Much less mess, and also cute:-) The one complaint I've gotten on these is that the cake part is smaller, so the ratio of cake to chocolate covering isn't as good as larger cake balls. But they still miraculously disappear whenever I put out a plate, so I'm taking that as a good sign.

Here are some pictures of my first few attempts:

Mint Chocolate Chip CupCake Bites

Mint Chocolate Chip CupCake Bites

Assorted Red Velvet & Carrot Cake CupCake Bites

Red Velvet CupCake Bites

Carrot Cake CupCake Bites
I make these whenever I'm making cupcakes and have leftover batter. I just bake it into a cake and freeze it until I'm ready to use it. It doesn't matter how much batter I have left over; even a little bit can make quite a few of these tasty bites! Enjoy:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment